Re: Introductin & naive questions

Ed Durbrow schrieb:
> That doesn't sound too bad, if it is just a matter of choosing a
> command from a menu.
> What about on hardware loopers? Do most? some? few? offer these features?
I have to admit, I can't give you precise statistics, only those things
I know directly or have been studying somewhat:
As for the first feature (from record directly to overdub):
Things that can do it: EDP (of course), Line6 DL4 (and I would assume
the M9, M13 and HD500 as well), Electrix Repeater newer software
versions (they didn't have that in the initial release) and anything
that is a delay used as a looper (so the Boss DD20 in delay mode can do
it).
Things that can't: EH SMM w/Hazari, first version of Akai headrush, Boss
DD20 in looper ("Sound on Sound") mode.
Don't know about all the Boss RC devices - perhaps somebody else can
offer info.

For the second feature (auto-starting record when going to a new loop).
I didn't ask specifically whether you meant that you want to record a
new loop and keep the old one (so as to be able to return to it later),
or start a new loop and discard the old one. So I'm gonna split this in
two parts ("keep" and "replace"):
keep:
Things that can do it: EDP (configurable), DD20 (in delay mode - well,
sort of).
Things that can't: everything which doesn't offer multiple loops
obviously, Electrix Repeater.

replace:
Things that can do it: EDP, DD20 (in delay mode - well, sort of).
Things that can't: Line6 DL4 (unless you can live with first stopping
the running loop and then immediately start recording), EH SMM w/Hazari.

So, list members: care to complete this list, please?
> That is great. I can see there are some very knowledgeable people
> here. BTW is there any tutorial or manual anywhere online for Mobius?
> It is pretty daunting.
Of course, there's the official documentation:
http://www.circularlabs.com/documentation/documentation.html
But I'm sure that some list members here have done some "getting
started" guides (in a more basic fashion) as well.
> Yes, good point. It depends on what you mean by experienced. :-) As
> you can see I'm very new to looping but I have some experience with
> audio/midi in a home recording studio environment. I've seen
> discussion about midi sync and so on but I have no experience with it
> as far as looping goes. I can only imagine it is a good thing.
Just had a look at your studio page - from that, it seems that you are
in fact somewhat experienced.

One thing that changes with doing live processing with a computer as
opposed to using it as a recorder/console is that the audio interface
chain's latency becomes a factor.

There are several options regarding mobile audio/MIDI interfaces which
work fine. Personally, I use a TC Konnekt24D (which finally has advanced
to a point where the driver SW can be called acceptable). Everything by
RME Audio is usually a safe bet, and from what I heard, the same is true
for most MOTU interfaces. For something more in the low-price range,
both I and others here have good experiences with the Presonus Firebox.

But, as I usuallly say, just write down your exact requirements, and
then choose...

          Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de