What to do w/ the Mac

Andy,

You need to know which model it is so you know how much it can be
upgraded...and what you will be able to run on it after you do.
Ableton Live will almost certainly run on it. As for a soundcard, what
you really need will be an audio interface, as Mac notebooks don't
have user-serviceable "sound cards" per se...and knowing which Mac it
is will determine what interface you'll be able to use effectively
(there were changes in the Firewire ports at one stage in the laptops
history...so it's an important thing to know).

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dennis

http://soundcloud.com/usrsbin