Re: NOrd

Doug Wellington schrieb:
> Sounds interesting, but there are those of us who will only ever buy one
>more
> synth from Clavia.  The Nord Modular G3!

The Nord Modular series is (for me) one of the coolest things in synth
history. Why? Apart from it basically bringing the power (in terms of
flexibility) of an oldskool modular synth into a small box, I believe
one of the most important features is the really well-done editor.

So although I wouldn't go as far as choose the Microwave as last synth
standing (Q user btw), I agree regarding the Modular. My second choice
might be the Kurzweil K2600XS (with emphasis on the "S", because live
sampling is really fun - check out Rigs! by Matt Davignon featuring
Thomas DiMuzio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6SSlv-1Zew. It also has
one of those clicheé moments when Thomas says "ahhh....what was I
talking about?...never mind, let's just listen to some Bob Marley").

So speaking about the G3: what would you like to have for it?
My choices:
    * self-definable wavetables
    * samples
    * something like the FS1R has with those odd formant things.
    * some way to do mathematical stuff in simpler terms (i.e. a module
where you can freely define a function with multiple input variables -
even something like a Si(x) )

          Rainer

ps: about that statement by andy o "to have all in one would be nice"
(paraphrasing here). An instrument which can create or emulate any sound
imaginable was promised with the very first synthesizers - this promise
still hasn't been kept even by the most advanced thingies. I don't
believe in that "one synth to rule them all" hope - after all, if most
guitarists (or other instrumentalists) have more than one instrument
just for the guitar sound, why would you believe that one instrument
would be sufficient for just any sound? ;)

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs