Re: SoftStep vs 1010 vs Boss vs Gordius

Dustbunnies wrote:
> On 2/9/11 6:45 PM, "andy butler" <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>> Dustbunnies wrote:
>>> However, with the FC-300, you can send pretty much any type of MIDI
>event
>>> (PC, CC, Notes, MMC, NRPN, SysEx, and even
>>> nearly-useless-for-foot-controller data like poly-aftertouch, FWIW).
>I'm
>>> just curious what data type -- Clock notwithstanding -- the Gordius is
>able
>>> to send that the FC-300 cannot?
>> The LG can send every possible midi command/data.
>> Including 14bit. from an expression pedal with a user
>> definable response curve.
>
> So it'll allow you to link two given CC's into a MSB/LSB pair in order to
> get better resolution.  Now that's cool.  Most controllers will only do
>this
> with the Pitch Bend controller, which is usually already hard wired on
>most
> receiving devices to... you guessed it: Pitch Bend.

Not many controllers send 14bit pitch bend.
Generally it's 7bit resolution with the
LSB only sent to make sure it goes all the way to both ends
of the range.

The resolution you can get from a pedal, Xavier tells
me, is more like 8bit, certainly not 14.
As I know that even that extra bit
makes a difference for dynamic volume control I helped
persuade him to offer the 14 bit option.

I haven't tried the MSB/LSB thing, it's possible to
set that up in the Gordius software so I strongly suspect
it works.

> That's definitely one I don't recall the FC-300 doing.
>
>> It also has Gordius specific commands.
>
> Yeah, I knew that the real value in the Gordius lay actually in the
>delivery
> system -- being able to scale, layer, and delay the timing on various
>types
> of MIDI data in an organized and programmable fashion.  I just didn't
>know
> if there were any raw data types that it handled which were beyond the
> rudimentary functions on the Roland footpedal.  It seems that MSB/LSB
> pairings are one type.  There could be others perhaps...?

afaik if it's in the Midi Spec the LG sends it.

>> Random CC (with upper & lower limit)
>
> Eh?  You mean it can do Sample-&-Hold style effects by jumping to random
> values on a given CC#?  That's very nice too.

yep :-)

> BTW, I know it does ramps and fades, but has Xavier gotten around to
>putting
> an actual MIDI LFO into this thing yet?

no, it would be possible to program
RepeatFrom>>Delay>>Ramp>>Delay>>Fade>>RepeatTo

..but again I've not tried that, I've
not messed with the ramps.

> I've been looking for a decent one
> of those forever, and the only one I've found (without resorting to a
> computer) in a floor unit is that Moog thing.  But that's just too damn
> expensive for what I'd use it for, IMNSHO.

their MP-201 pedal thing?
are you sure it would even do that?

andy