Re: 64 bit software loopers?

Per Boysen wrote:

> The only people I know that already benefit from 64 bit coded system
> and music applications are producer colleges that run extremely large
> sample library on the top of the line octacore boxes.

Simply because the RAM memory now has a 64bit address.
(= fast access to much more memory).

If we're gonna do 64bit audio I'd expect a 64bit processor
to be a lot faster...but I personally wouldn't expect
the to be worthwhile soundwise. (and 3x the disk space for
audio files).

I'd actually expect that a 32bit processor would
be faster running 32bit audio processing than one
that used 64bit processing on 32bit audio if all other
things were equal ( which they aren't) because
running a 64bit instruction has to create twice the heat
of running a 32bit instruction...and it's heat generation
that limits processor speed.

..and of course processing speed isn't the only consideration.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if 64bit machines offered lower latency.

andy