Slightly OT: Virtual Performance of Terry Riley - "In C"

So this is not about our live looping using technology, but, as those of
you familiar with the work can attest, has to do with loops in the
widest sense.

I'm thinking about putting together a virtual performance of Terry
Riley's "In C" using ninjam technology.

So how does it work?

1. THE PIECE:
(For people familiar with "In C", read on to the next section)

"In C" is a composition by Terry Riley where any number of musicians
(Riley suggests about 35) play a sequence of notatet repeating musical
patterns of varying length. Each player decides for himself how often he
plays every section. Everyone plays to a common pulse (usually performed
by a piano hitting the high C in eights).
There's a score for download here: http://www.patrickgrant.com/InC.pdf

What happens is that those different sections will sound together, with
different offsets, to produce some ever-changing...thing.

2. THE TECHNOLOGY:
I'll be using the good ol' ninjam for this.
Ninjam is a software which allows for realtime music collaborations via
internet by rounding up the transmission delays to a value that makes
sense musically (e.g. one measure). This works very well with this
specific piece, because it really doesn't matter if a single player is
heard by the others one measure earlier or later, as long as he is on
the beat.
There's a basic tech writeup about ninjam here in the archives:
http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200605/msg00185.html

3. THE IMPLEMENTATION:
Everyone sits at home (or at a venue, or on a sailboat with internet
access or whatever). Then someone (e.g. me) sends the annoying high C
pulse, then all play the piece. We can also stream it somewhere.
Time frame: not entirely sure about an actual date - open for discussion!

4. NEXT STEPS:
Discussions/questions: here, if it's ok.
Just telling me "I wanna be in it" - offlist, please.

Yours,

          Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de