Re: Music and performance (WAS: Why does mainstream seem more like,downstream these days?)

interesting thread people,
So with all the tools to document music how important do you consider
being able to read and write it the traditional way nowdays?
I personally think it is wonderful to be able to step into a time
tunnel from the past and perform such pieces and analyze what this
composers where doing.I also wish i could read at first sight with
such an amazing accuracy.
then again other cultures have taken the time to preserve the music
just as well without the need to write it,some come to
mind,gamelan,flamenco,indian,african etc.
some cultures i believe even forbid writting their music for
jeopardizing its magic.
I suppose what i dislike about the whole classical trained mentality
is the conservative hierarchy and disqualification of other types of
music genres.

It reminds me of a quotation from Mr. Andres Segovia:

"That gentleman, Paco de Lucía, people think that just because he's
got the facility to do some of those simple things he does, that he's
a genius... any one of the young fellows coming up in the guitar
competitions I attend has a fabulous technique, but all that 'pluck,
pluck, pluck', that's not technique".

Simple things? pluck, pluck', that's not technique" how arrogant!!

I recently got hired at a music school to teach kids guitar,the school
has been struggling to get kids to stay in the guitar department
because of their lack of interest,(and i blame that on the teachers)so
they hired me to teach popular styles in acoustic and electric guitar.
But what i found amazing is that they only offered me to teach only as
an independent teacher and refuse to give me a contract on grounds
that im not qualified because of the types of music i teach and lack
of pedagogic diploma.
Even more amazing is the fact that the teacher who quit before me had
a diploma and all of his students did not know the differrence between
major and minor chords and could not even play them after 3 years of
attending there.I might not a diploma but my private sutdents can play
that after a few weeks!
i wonder what Eddie Van halen or Paco de Lucia would say if they asked
them if they had a diploma before teaching electric or flamenco
guitar!
So i made a decision after a few weeks to be my own boss:-)
cheers
Luis