Re: Why does mainstream seem more like , downstream these days?

I said:
> #1. "That's my formula  "5% in all genres of music is excellent.
someone asked:
> so are you saying that 95% of looping sux?.....:)"

If one were being really black and white about it, then yes, that would
be true, but there is
a huge amount of territory between  music being excellent and music
sucking, as it were.

There's a lot of very competent music made in the world.............on
some levels you can't be
completely awful if you are on a major label...........just prosaic and
possibly boring.

But,  I really have to qualify my own personal answer a little bit to be
really accurate about how I feel:

When I talk about my own loose formula that 5% in all genres of music is
excellent, it means
just to me, personally!      Someone may just love Andre Seqovia
recordings.   For some reason
they don't appeal to me.   Does that mean it sucks?     of course not.
It just means this
is a personal formula for me.    I choose to listen to Black Metal this
week instead of
King Crimson............does this mean I think Black Metal is better
than King Crimson or even that
one is excellent and one sucks.............of course not.

Another aspect that's important in my reply is that I believe the the
process of making music
and putting it out to the world is really good for one's soul,   whether
someone buys it
or not, really so I want to be public-ally supportive of ALL loopers in
their attempts to
'get it out there'.

I couldn't possibly have done the looping festival all these years,
including a very conscious decision
to include rank newbies in the performances if I had some judgmental
hierarchy in my mind
that rated musicians as being either excellent or sucking.

I'm a hippy at heart and I firmly believe in being supportive of
community.  My own personal communities
involve live loopers,  goth/industrial types, pool players,  movie
aficionados, etc., etc.  so I do what
I can to be supportive of people, especially when it comes to being
creative and to getting out in public
and performing or releasing their own artistry.

There, is that a long winded enough response? <chuckle>