Re: Total Improv

I'm also 100% improv for most of my shows, both solo and in my band
Tiny Owl (tinyowl.bandcamp.com). Tiny Owl is wrestling with the idea
of learning a few standards, but at this point we're still improv.

Some of my best performances have been the ones I was most terrified
about going in. Sometimes I'll forget a key piece of gear and will
have to work without it. (It didn't work out that way at the last
looping festival - I didn't play well that time at all.)

About once a year I'll have something where I have to make a "score"
for myself. Last year, it was a collaboration with local musician
Cheryl Leonard (who plays plants and glass instruments) and two
dancers. The "score" for each song was a diagram of how the pedals
were set, a mood, and a list of the pads I use to generate the melody.

Andy, you went:
>Like they are so into it, dont even sell records or even archive the
>songs.....

I'm not aware of this being an expectation of improvised musicians. In
fact, archiving the performances and listening to them later were huge
in both figuring out what I'm about, musically, and learning what
works and what doesn't.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com