Re: Recording an Album

I also use a DPA 4061 and/or 4099 for performance, and at times for ancillary ambience.

Agreed, Antony.  It's nice to have a tiny little 4061 taped to the audio interface to 'hear the room' in my in-ear monitors while recording,  even better during performance when ears shut out any external sound.

Todd,  I didn't mention that, but it's def. my experience that with recording in my house, the sound of the room didn't matter so much to me.  In the beginning, in my old house,  I built two 8 foot baffles for 80 bucks with material from Home Depot.  that totally hooked me up.  Problem was, when I moved into my new place, the studio was on the second floor and i couldn't even get them up the stairs and just never got new, shorter ones built.

In other news, with regard to Andy's and other's reverb ideas, Altiverb was the single most important investment I made outside the mics and pre and really made things sparkle.  If I really understood compression as I someday hope to, I probably would have invested in that direction to.  I asked for help in that department, however, and learned a ton through watching and listening.

I do love this thread, though.  Things that have been said on both the pro-studio and pro-home side are great.  Are you leaning one way or the other by now?

I should also mention the possibility of renting some great equipment from friends for use in the home, or even borrowing.  I did lots of that in the very beginning,  then when looking to invest in the mics,  Mercenary Audio was TOTALLY concerned that I get the exact right gear for my needs and let me keep things for two weeks and exchange them a couple of times before deciding and actually laying down cash.

All the best,

todd