Re: Recording an Album

Dear Todd,

reflecting on those two options (1 being DIY, 2 being professional
studio) - note that this is very personal-taste-ish. But first, some
comments:

First, what didn't come out in your description of option 1 is that
you'll still need an engineer (and, if you are able to do that yourself,
an engineering assistant). I don't know whether you qualify as an expert
engineer yourself, but even if you do, you need someone to work the gear
- everything else is not much fun.
You wouldn't necessarily need to buy those super
microphones/preamps/converters, renting/borrowing might be a good option
here.

I'd go with option 1. Why? Because if (should be iff here) you're able
to find a decent room, you can give your record a very unique sound by
making use of the room. (Yes, do record the room, if it's something
church-like, e.g. lots of reverb, best with a pair of PZM half-omnis.
Then you won't need artifical reverb). And this way, your record will
sound very unique - basically, Daniel Lanois had been famous to work
like this even before the days of computer-based studios by not using a
studio in the traditional sense for his productions, rather finding a
nice location and then schlepping his studio gear there.

My .02

          Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de