Re: recording an album

I bought an Otari 8 track in NYC a sell out with a good price. That was real semi pro machine. Eurythmics made a first album with it.

Antony

From: andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Sun, February 27, 2011 11:27:26 AM
Subject: Re: recording an album

Scott Hansen wrote:

> there was just a back page editorial in tape op about the charm of the old 4-track recording method....

There's often editorial in Tape Op saying how the recording
medium isn't important, that one was taking it to extremes though.

Truth is, those cassette portastudios were truly awful.
Cheap electronics that distorted way before you got
into tape saturation. They weren't even great quality
for a cassette recorder. It wasn't possible to get
much bass on them, or any top end either.

Around that time you could get a second hand reel to
reel 4-track for less money. I had plenty of opportunity
use both options, and it seemed like anyone who bought
the cassette version had been seriously fooled by hype.

andy