Re: midi looping, synths, and kaossilators

I have made a nifty little midi looping module with max msp, as part of a bigger project. It can loop/overdub/grab everything... notes, CC's, pitchbend, aftertouch... and from many different sources, at the same time as it keeps track which destinations they should be returned to. So that I can loop a knob movement directly on one synth, and another movement on another, while having the notes going to which ever synths I specify on the fly.
Having four of these running together is a lot of fun!
Eventually I would like to turn it into something other people could use, but for now it's a max only thing specifically routed to my hardware :/

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM, BEN <benoitruelle@yahoo.fr> wrote:
Hi Mark et all

I didn't had theb time to try it yet but perhaps worth a look?

Ben

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 11:29
Subject: RE: midi looping, synths, and kaossilators

I have 3 things I would qualify as Midi Loopers of sorts

MPC 500
Korg Electribe ESX
Flame Six In A Row.

The MPC I have read in the manual can be set in a loop of sorts, recieving midi notes from a controller to any of its 48 tracks record the notes input from the controller  and then play them back in real time wile more notes are added to this or another track. plus you have all that MPC sampling functionality.... not tried it though, I just use it for speech samples.

ESX this has , i think , stolen the "first love " crown from the EDP for me, I have never used such a fun unit in my work and it has changed me in the same way that the EDP did 10 years ago. You can use an external controller as described above to control the external sound source OR  to give note data to either of the 2 availiable "keyboard" sample tracks available onboard or you can use its onboard keys to input notes or even more fun the scailic arpegiator  (think mini KoPro)  the only issue in this and other midi loopers is that if you accidentally overwrite  the note on message at the loop boundry you just get akward silence for that step, so always remove your finger from the controller JUST before the loop point.I also use this to midi loop drum parts.
(I believe the EMX can be used like this but with 5 keyboard type parts.)

Six In A Row. This is a boutique midi looper of the scaled variety kind of a Hybrid of the tenori on  / monome and KoPro concepts. it has a grid of lit rubber buttons, you pick a scale and a key and the grid lights move ot show you the placement of root notes and "removes" the wrong notes. you can then jam up to 4 bar phrases  on either of two loop slots  plus a separate drum track ... each can be set for individual midi channels , I use mine with an old MU-7 its ace.