Re: Sorting out the good stuff

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 4:35 AM, Kevin Cheli-Colando
<billowhead@gmail.com> wrote:
> have a really hard
> time excising the 'good' bits from the flow of things because the
> rough spots seem somehow necessary to explain the good bits.

Totally accurate remark there! I suffer this a lot too. My method to
deal with it is to listen and analyze what I was doing that made the
music communicate those emotions. The I try to play it again, and
again, and again... The idea is to not work with "notes" and "chords"
as your tools but with pure emotion. Of course that's belongs in
utopia and is not possible in the real world, but I have discovered
that simply feeding the vision and wanting there makes you a better
musician. And this attitude automatically leads to "less fluff"
recorded (to go with Marc's excellent phrasing).

Per