Re: OT: Fretless Guitar

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Pawel Janowski <pjanowski@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I personally tried heavy flatwounds (13s) tuned to D or C# (I don't
>remember
> anymore) and light rounds in standard and in the end went with
> the roundwounds, which I thought were more versatile in terms of sound.
> guess a consideration for you will also be the Sustainer and the string
>type
> and gauge that will work best with it.

I too started out using heavy flatwound jazz strings on my fretless
Telecaster. I tuned it dropped to D. Now I have settled with
roundwound baritone strings which I tune drop-B. This gives me the
best sound and "string vibration performance" so far.

My Sustainiac crapped out but with these thick strings I get enough
sustain anyway, and I'm enjoying a natural sting attack/decay envelope
;-))  I my guitar wasn't a Telecaster I would go for a magnetic
Sustainiac neck pickup.

Per