Semi-OT: EHX Killswitch...

Been meaning to post this for a bit, but have only now gotten around to it:

        http://www.ehx.com/products/killswitch

With all the talk in the past of slicer- and SUS-type effects, I'm
surprised
this hasn't come up yet.

Killswitch allows you to create gated or slicer effects by simply tapping
on
its momentary switch.  Of course, we can already do that by using Bill's
Korg Tuner hack (amongst others), but the Killswitch goes a bit further.

First, you can switch the polarity at the twist of a dial.  In one
position,
it allows all signal to pass naturally, then kills it when the pedal is
depressed.  At the other extreme, no signal passes at all until you press
the switch.

Additionally, it incorporates an effect loop so that, if desired, you can
route the signal to another effect chain, rather than muting it.  That
means
that you can apply effects to only the notes that are played while you are
holding down the switch.  You can, for instance, apply distortion to every
third note by tapping in threes, or send only the final note of a solo to a
delay unit.

This loop-chain behavior can also be reversed (sending all audio through
the
effect loop unless you're pressing the switch) so it would be easy to set
up
a mass of repeating echos as a bed, then use the switch to route the signal
unaffected as you solo over it, for example.

I swear EHX must have been eavesdropping on my ranting here, or countless
other forums, for a unit exactly like this.  It's almost 100% like what
I've
designed/requested quite a few times in the past, but never had the skills
to build myself (I tend to set things on fire if you give me a soldering
iron).

Best part, it's only $45 USD... cheap!

A simple but extremely useful little tool, I can hardly wait for them to
release it over here in Japan.  Sounds like it could lead to some serious
sonic entertainment.

    --m.