Re: tape delay plug ins

i read a couple of them from different shop websites like amazon and
musicians friend and a couple fo forums thoguh i dont exactly remeber
which ones, i was considering getting one for my laptop since they
caught my interest so i started doing some research,it seems more
problematic between window users...
here are some of them:

Windows XP users ... Beware!!!
Posted by Greg from West Bloomfield, MI on Jan 8, 2011
Experience w/product: I own it
Reviewer's Background: Hobbyist, Musician, etc...
Reviewer's Play Style: Jazz, Gospel, and R&B
I assume UAD hardware products are pretty good... But, if you are
using a Windows XP Laptop computer (like myself), beware!!! I never
got pass the installation. I called UAD tech. support 3 times for over
a week and a half. But with no luck, I still could never get this card
to work. The tech. support said that I needed to upgrade and/or change
the settings on my computer (What)?! I said... wait a minute... hold
on... I don't need to make any changes like that to my computer that
might interupt the other programs I'm using (Cubase 5, M-Audio
interface, Wavelab, etc.). All of those and more seem to be working
just fine. After downloading the drivers, I should be able to just
plug this card in the slot and the light on the card should go from
red to green right?!!! Well, it never happen so I returned this item
and I will be purchasing "Waves Software"!!! I downloaded the demos
and they sound pretty nice and worked just fine!!! Lesson for today:
If you can't download the demo and try it first "DON'T BUY IT"!!!
Maybe I needed a $2000 Mac Computer??? UAD hardware: 5 stars but UAD
software 1 star (and over priced)!!!

a couple from sweetwater music:

Forget it with PC
by from Toronto, ON
January 26, 2011
Music Background: Pro Musician, Producer & Recording hobbyist
I bought this card because of falling in love with UAD plugins at a
previous album recording session. I wanted it for my PC Lenovo laptop.
I was happy to try it but was never able to install it. After... read
more [+] all the possible troubleshooting, correspondence with UAD,
forums…I had to beg the vendor to take it back. Throughout many
sleepless nights & crashes, I managed to run the card for about 10
mins. The beautiful plugins sounded great and this pisses me off even
more now, since there’s no way I can ever run them on my PC. It may
run on a Sony or something similar, but in general, UAD is not made
for PCs. I actually got a suggestion from both UAD and the distributor
in Canada to buy a MAC. Well, thanks…I just need a spare kidney to
sell for a good, music production - capable MAC laptop

Does it's job well, but built flimsy
by MJ from San Jose, CA.
July 11, 2009
Music Background: "Prosumer" - Semi Pro Guitarist, Project Studio
Engineer, Live Sound, with 26 yrs of experience.
I received one of the first of these that Sweetwater received from UA
last week (beginning of July), after waiting for it since March.

Functionality: I give this 5 stars - does exactly... read more [+]
what it's supposed to, set up is completely fool-proof, even as I
already had multiple plugins on my quad card (was easy to link them to
this card). This definitely works great on my '09 mac book pro.

Build Quality: Completely shoddy. This card feels like one accidental
bump against it while in the slot and it would break in half very
easy. Most of the card is plastic, and where the plastic joins the
metal seems like it will break within 6 months.... we'll see, but for
500 bucks for a card I expect it to be top notch build quality. UA
makes great stuff and excellent hardware on the analog side with
excellent build quality - makes me think they outsourced this, and it
shows.

A comment on the packaging: This tiny little card and set of 3 cds
came in a ridiculously large box from UA - the same box my quad card
came in. COME ON UA, BE MORE ENVIRONMENTAL - You're practically in
Santa Cruz for god's sake, the mecca of contemporary
environmentalism!!!

A note on Supply Chain Mgt. - ALWAYS HAVE MULTIPLE VENDORS LINED UP
FOR KEY COMPONENTS! I heard the vendor they went with originally to
make the board in this went out of business, and this was the reason
for the long delay. They had to scramble to find another vendor. This
is a rookie move, and shows me that they may be growing faster than
they are maturing their business practices. Take my advice, don't
dilute your good name with shoddy quality and promises you can't keep.
As a wise man once said, "The sting of poor quality lasts a lot longer
than the sting of steep costs."

All in all a good functioning product that may be a little overpriced,
but if you're sold on UA plugins (which are great), then this will be
for you. close [-]

--
www.luis-angulo.com