Two new Kaoss things reviews and gripes...

Hi ho guys, I just bought 2 kaos thingys, a Kaossilator Pro and the
new KPQuad: I wrote a review and some irritations on my website, but I
thought Id crosspost here, seeing as the traffic at my site is pretty
slow... ok non existant! ha ha

Its just Kaoss here!
Posted on April 19, 2011 by mark

I have just bought 2 Kaoss pads!
Im loving them… with some reservations/wishes!

I have NOT been so interested in them before now, as..
A) Im a guitarist with only 2 hands. Although I have seen the thing
where they have been inserted into some guitars, but only as USB
trackpads I think…
B) They are quite a bit of desk-space and Ive been more into
space-saving racks tingys

Anyway, I have had my eye on the Kaosscilator, as a synth that can add
a quick sound into the looping mix, in a pretty improv way, not much
pre-planning. But was put off by the original cos of no midi sync…
But along comes the Kaosscilator PRO.

Loving it, great sounds, fast to use. Even Nikolas (5 yr old) is
knocking up some pretty cool things on it. It has 8 banks of sounds,
divided into leads, Acoustic, basses, chords, soundFX, drums, patterns
and vocoder. ALL of the sounds I can use, some for more silly weird
shit than others admittedly, but basically no fluff. Picking the right
scale took some time for me, nothing quite worked with what I play on
the guitar, (not knowing exactly what THAT scale is really!!!) In the
end I wrote down MY scale, and found that Aolian was the closest, now
it always sounds great with what Im doing on the guitarm and I dont
have to worry about WHAT to play ha ha… wonderful time we live in…
I think that the way to save and recall sounds, and loops onto the
card is a bit headachy, and I cant quite figure out HOW I wanna do
that, Im not sure that Ill save any loops though… well maybe… maybe
Ill save some drum loops, if I have made them from scratch… but TBH I
dont thank that will happen untill it gets undo… its too easy to make
a mistake, for me to want to KEEP that loop… Id much rather make loops
on the flay and accept the individual quirks I create.. (rather have
UNDO tho… see below) Of course ALL saving systems are limited when all
you have is a little green alpha-numeric screen and not a “proper” LCD
with good space to write you patch names…

And then the Kaossilator QUAD.

I got instead of the KP3, cos I was interested in 4 simultaneous
effects, as I wanted something to put right on the end of my chain,
that EVERYTHING, guitar, guitar synth, loopers (3) and the
Kaosscilator would go through.

After a few days play I have a few things I would like Korg to take
note of, and CHANGE. In the Kaosscillator Pro, that can send out a new
firmware update, as a fix, with the Quad, it will have to be another
version of the box, as the Quad has no midi or USB.. or nutting, so no
updating there (See gripes below)!!

Heres the Gripes:

Kaoscilator.
1. NO UNDO!!! Please fix this!! I need to be able to fuck up an over
dub on a loop and then go back one step to before the fuck-up. Even if
it was only implemented on the PRESS REC button way of recording, so
if you didnt like a loop, you could hit del after insted of Rec one
more time, and then remove the new layer…
2. Need a quicker way to delete all, to clean slate… currently its
Hold Del, press on all tracks then fumble to the little flashinh write
button… whats wrong with a long (2 sec) press of Delete? or Delete AND
REC for 2 secs?
3. Hissy on the mic channel when you are NOT kaossing, might just be
my mike, but why is the sound OK when I am effecting it?
4. The main criticism is something I wouldn’t have known about if I
hadn’t read some Kaoss forums. Apparently the ORIGINAL Yellow or pink
one, apparently had a feature where you could get ARP PATTERNS… where
are they on the PRO version?
Never remove a feature for the PRO version… ADD features!
If this can be implemented, the ARP PATTERNS could be sorted into
banks, like the sounds, but maybe you must press ARP while you press a
bank to access them?, once pressed, the ARP button could flash showing
you are in pattern select mode, you select one, and then its loaded,
and maybe the slider selects variations on that Pattern?
5. Just a gripe about the screen… Can anyone else memorize 200
patches… (not something they can fix NOW tho)

KP4
1. Obvious but… no midi!! No midi synch (Tho I must say that’s not a
prob as it syncs wonderfully to input audio, and sometimes its nice to
take it off auto sync and hand crank the bpm button.. cool) NO the
real reason, is that there’s no update possible, so what we have.. we
are stuck with!
2. Why OH WHY??? Cant they have kept the KP3 “record touch” function
(or whatever its called). Being able to record your finger movements
and play them back would ahve solved for me the “well you are a
guitarist” thing… BUT.. I hear that on the KP3 its not possible to
sync to the beat via midi or audio, this is silly, I would LOVE to be
able to record a finger motion and have that motion “quantise” to the
loop. Are we sure it doesnt do that? Ill have to borrow a kp3 to
check… Again.. why TAKE AWAY features??
STUPIDO!
3. theres no 3rd gripe!

Overall I LOVE thse 2 boxes, I just need to memorize 200 patch numbers!

--
Mark Francombe
www.markfrancombe.com