Re: portable PA for electronic looper

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Michael Peters <mp@mpeters.de> wrote:
> the two audio technicians that I know here have both strongly advised me
> against using active speakers (such as the Phonic P5A that Fabio
>recommends,
> or the Rokit speakers that Markus uses) - both expect that the tweeters
> would soon break because of the occasional high overtones and the strong
> dynamics that is inevitable when playing guitar. What do you think?

I think your tech friends are talking line-in guitar, because using a
guitar amp miked up doesn't produce such spikes. If you are doing
direct line-in guitar you can limit damaging spikes by using plenty of
headroom and a limiter. Not talking about the musical limiting effect
here, just a brick wall setting that affects the most powerful spikes.
Also, if looping "experimentally" you will benefit from setting up a
low cut filter before the signal is sent to the speakers (or even
before master dynamic processing, if you are using that).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com