Todd Reynolds' Outerborough

I've been notably absent from list-land, I know...as always, enjoying the conversations. I just wanted to give a shout-out here to Todd Reynolds' "Outerborough", which I don't believe has really been chatted up here. It's a double album, half of his own compositions, half from other people, and (mostly? all?) recorded in his bedroom, as briefly noted a month or two ago (and it sounds great, too).

It's *stunning*. Not what you would call an over-all "loop" record, but there is certainly much use of looping and sampling and processing, live and otherwise. Really interesting sounds in the service of really great, soulful, exploratory compositions. Some pieces are on the ambient side, some use spoken word in a beautiful way, others are freakin' heavy, like the last tune by David Lang (of Bang on a Can) appropriately called "Killer" - using what strikes my uninformed ears as a granular-sampled violin, triggered and re-triggered, to create something akin to a one-fiddle Meshuggah.

Dig!

http://innova.mu/artist1.asp?skuID=449

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com