Re: slightly OT: laptop advice for running softsynths live

I've used a couple of Windows XP laptops for looping in Mobius and
found them totally stable. In fact a little more "snappy" in the feel
compared to Macs. I tried to run software instruments too but that was
too CPU demanding back in the days of 1 GHz Centrino machines. So I
used two laptops then; the PC for Mobius and a Powerbook with a
1250(?) MHz G4 CPU for synths and piping the synth audio digitally by
ADAT lightpipe into the looper machine. I think that if yo buy
secondhand computers you should at lest get a used box with Intel Duo
2 Core processor.

But I wouldn't recommend buying second hand. The computers of today
costs less than those of four years back and are way more powerful! If
I was your friend I would look into two alternatives:

1) Buying a new and cheap PC plus three or four synths I like. Keeping
money ready for buying a replacement PC if the first one dies (nice
option with the cheapest machines). This alternative is a bit of
gambling, you have to weight the lower cost against the calculated
loss if it turns out unlucky. You can't fully calculate stability and
CPU efficiency before you have all the stuff in your hands.

2) Buying a new Macbook Pro plus Logic Pro Studio. You get a big
number of synths and a sampler with a large sound patch library
included. It all "just works" with very low CPU taxing, no need to buy
anything more. Be sure to pick up the three year insurance so you can
get a new machine on the spot if it should go belly-up. The new i7
Macs are like three to four times as efficient with the Logic stuff
since the software can use the four cores as eight virtual cores (we
recently tested that with a mag here).

In both examples you have to stay away from the most CPU demanding
instruments in order to set up a stable rig. During the last years I
have been playing EWI in a band using a 2.2MHz Macbook with Mainstage
hosting a couple of Logic synths plus the sampler. I've found this
palette very useful in a live band situation, as you can swap between
synth+fx patches with a midi foot pedal as you perform the set with
the band.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se