Re: Hard times and a glitch album on bandcamp

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:
> We may have to find new ways of selling our artistry.   I used to sell
>20-50
> CDs everytime I played solo
> and now I don't sell any.......it's a new world,  but we mustn't let it
> discourage us from sharing our artistry
> with the world and with our communities.

Let me chime in here; it's a new world and people just don't buy
music! When Erdem and I played in Paris recently we had 600 people in
the audience and sold only one CD! That was a bit chocking as many
told us they loved the concert and the surround sound.

Also, when a record label rejects a submitted master recording it is
not because they think the music sucks, it is because they can't see a
market for the product. Selling music just isn't a working business
model. The reason the market is fragmented is the fact that more
people are listening to more different kinds of music - and that is a
good thing for art and music! But the downside is that within each sub
genre there won't be enough buyers to provide a brake-even of
recording and CD production costs.

Yesterday The Cynical Musician posted a blog text that talks about this:
http://thecynicalmusician.com/2011/05/the-minimum-sustainable-scale/

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se