Re: Bill Walkers cool Repeater Trick mp3 Re: electrix

Beautiful track, Bill!   This has been a regular in my iTunes playlist for long now.

I love this sound--- its the reason Repeater is still in my rack today.

I found this trick really with drum-voiced arpeggios modulating the pitch of the recorded loop.  When first experimenting with the technique-- I  recorded single note drones and then manipulated this loop with rhythmic pitch data from an arpeggiator.  Then I found that if I created midi arpeggios (mapped to drum voices) and allowed only perfect 5ths and 4ths in the arpeggio pattern I could manipulate pitch of more complex (non - droning loops) in a groove with the drum part.   This allows me to safely apply harmonic elements to rather active loops (non Droning) to produce unexpected composite melodies and rhythms.

A couple of examples linked below.  In these pieces, the same midi arpeggio that is triggering the drum grooves are driving the pitch manipulations of the loops.

Pocket Steel

Crossing the Rubicon

Loop On Bretheren

Daniel