Re: A looping fork in the road. Which way do I go?

i've recently had four shows disturbed by audio glitches, and I can't seem to fix it whatsoever.
This may be no help at all but--
I effected a great performance improvement on both my MacBook Pro and my dell laptop by ensuring that I disabled all internet connectivity prior to looping.

On a related note, I have found that some FW drivers create latency log jams when running certain audio cards on the FW buss.    For instance, the Texas Instruments FW driver that automatically loads in Windows creates conflicts with FocusRite and MOTU firewire sound cards-- removing it and installing the windows generic driver greatly improved performance of abletone and mobius under windows.  Similar conflicts may exist under the hood in Mac OS X.

For windows, there are  latency checking tools that can help you find conflicts.

I do not know of a similar tool for Mac OS X, unfortunately-- if some one knows of one, please advise.

Still,  some of what I learned from this tool under windows  resulted in performance improvements when I applied similar tricks to my mac.  In particular, wireless internet connectivity seemed to be a source of streaming conflicts on the Mac Book.  On a related note, when I went from 4 GB of ram to 8 GB on the Mac book, all performance problems went away regardless of machine configuration.

Cheers
Daniel