Re: OT Good Sample Sequencer for OS X?

Both Cubase and Logic offers an editing windows ("hyper editor", "drum
editor") that work in a similar way to FL Studio; you click inside a
grid to create a note and each note is shown as a staple where the
height corresponds how hard the hit is ("velocity"). Ableton Live can
also be used "drum machine style". A rudimentary sampler comes with
Live but if you really want to tweak your own sounds you need to pay
extra for buying their sampler Sampler (it's named "Sampler").

It's not "shareware", but if you mean software "drum machine" I would
guess that the most bang for the buck comes with iDrum
http://izotope.com/products/audio/idrum/
(you know, the same guys that sell Stutter Edit, that you like so
much). iDrum will let you drive the sampler/patter sequencer with your
own samples. It is not a DAW, just a drum machine workstation in
software.

There is a really good drum sampler/synth with its own pattern based
sequencer inside Logic; it's called UltraBeat.

Just the other day Rob Papen released a similar software module called
Punch:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/05/rob-papen-punch-samplesynth-drums-now-shipping-software-drum-machine-scene-looking-hot/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+createdigitalmusic+%28createdigitalmusic.com%29&utm_content=Bloglines

And Fxpansion has Geist that also has its own effect processing engine
that can do some cool stuff:
http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=120&tab=313

Last time I looked Geist was quite expensive, but it is a top quality
production tool targeting guys that are very serious with beat making
and want to get the best out there and spend time getting really good
with it. I think you should look at Geist+laptop+pads an alternative
to an AKAI MPC.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se