Re: R: livelooping articles for a guitar magazine

Good luck Michael!

Not sure how historical you want to get, but I'm pretty sure Vladamir Ussachevsky's live performance of "Sonic Contours" at the New York Museum of Modern Art in 1952 was the first use of live looping (tape delay of course):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og3QDR-gMWY

I'd call that performance a bit of a novelty, though it apparently created something of a sensation. After that, it was really Terry Riley who incorporated live looping as the basis for composition and performance, and he should be credited as the father of live looping. I'd say that Fripp and Eno picked up on what Riley was doing and the rest is, well, history.

--
Art Simon
simart@gmail.com