frisell/lafosse....loopers

re:
...but I think that to be innovative as a looper
it's actually necessary to invent a loop technique,
or to apply that technique in a new way, or to bring those
results that others have achieved into a different musical context.

Not the same as being innovative *and* a looper.

i love BF as much as anybody, i'm not his publicist, have a lot of his albums, don't have all. he has a lot out.
i may have to look up the exact meaning of "innovative", since i studied post modern theory in grad school for art,
there is a big debate if the word "innovate" is really relevant i think.

i personally think his work has really changed, it seemed more aggressive to me in his early stuff (which i love!)
i was talking to a friend about him once, i think he is all about music. i doubt he cares about looping or being innovative

for my understanding of the term (again i may have to look it it).
listen to the power tools album (i had it on vinyl, then lost my cassette, found it CHEAP on cd yrs ago). some great stuff.
he can certainly play out there, as he illustrated on this from the late 80s...he has said that his eh16ddl is all over this,
i have a hard time actually hearing it, i think he uses it seamlessly....its just a tool in his arsenal....

the other cut-is on henry kaiser's "re-marrying for money", the extra cut that's a duet between BF & HK-whoa...they are just
playing w/ pure sound, it is an amazing track that runs 10 min-it was a live improv.-i believe this is from 1989....i don't remember
hearing too  many people play like this in 1989.

and i would put the live 2 min loop improv he did a the concert i saw of him in iowa city on july 4th 2009-as one of the most
innovative noise-fests i've ever heard. i honestly thought it put what i've heard sonic youth do to shame.... granted he did it only
for 2 min. the crowd's mouths/jaws were sort of dropped, people scratching their head, going "what the.... is this....".
to hear this in the context of his very melodic playing w/in his band context was quite jarring. i loved it. i think i was in the minority.

listen to the little loop things he does on "ghost town". that is what he does very well. but he keeps it small/short, just a tasty noise morsel
for folks like me who want more, but then he goes into his other things.....

if i were to sum up, his innovation is: i think he is able to combine the use of noise and extended technique (think
what derek bailey did) w/ his melodic explorations of jazz and americana.

as for ANDRE LAFOSSE-i was listening to a disc of his pre-normalized tests w/ the edp-the start of his turntablist stuff....it's a bit simpler than
normalized in sound, but man, it just blows my mind his playing. the way he uses the guitar percussively, pops, snaps, it's just awe-inspiring....

s---
www.soundclick.com/hsacnostetn