Re: Hardware/Software Looper Failure Rates in Concert was frisell/pds8000-alternatives...

The thing that scares me a little bit about software are that the
failures are less predictable.

Yes, my hardware fails occasionally, but it's either as Rick says, a
user failure I can learn from and not do again (such as using the
wrong power source or wiring it backwards) or a mechanical failure
which I can fix and learn to prevent.

The two times my hardware has failed in the 8 years I've been performing:
--At a Y2k festival 2 years ago, one of the switches on my DL-4 fell
off. It was because I hadn't been keeping the hex screws tight on the
unit. I now double check them while I set up.
--Several years ago, the switches on my DOD DFX-94 units stopped
working. This is because the chip board on the units bent away from
where the switch could activate them. This was fixed by wedging in a
little bit of paper to push the motherboard in the right direction.

To me, software is hard to predict. If it crashes, I'm not aware that
concrete things can be done to keep it from crashing again. I will
observe that I witnessed many in-performance software crashes in the
early 2000s, but not so much in the last 3 years or so.

But software has its own advantages too - ask the guy who just lugged
a large suitcase containing 75 pounds of equipment on public
transportation last night!

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com