Re: long delay for mac

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Gareth Whittock wrote:
The choice of plugins seems minuscule compared to windows or am I just looking in the wrong places?
I've discussed this phenomenon many times here at L.D.

When KVR had their KVR challenge (offering a few thousand dollars to the person who created the most inventive freeware audio effects plugin) hundreds were submitted and of the forty that were published, there were only two for OSX versus 36 for Windows (a couple for Linux, too, as I recall).

This has been a constant in the Windows world for the past ten years.
There's just a lot more freeware (and idiosyncratic) developement of effects plugins

Personally, I look for the intense (and often quirky) creativity that come from young people's freeware plugins. The last KVR challenge winner made a plugin that simulates insect sounds..........lol! So, I'm more a fan of Windows. Also, for me, the presence of programs like FL Studio/Sony Vegas/Sony Sound Forge/Sony Acid and stand alone creative apps like Granulab and Tuareg (slicer program) that just aren't available for OS X keeps me there.

There are also wonderful programs (very notably, Logic Pro) that aren't found on Windows and there's the whole aspect of potential viruses and mal and phisware that plague Windows (solution: don't use your audio system online!) but I just read an article that said that now that Apple has become the largest media company on earth that virus writers are starting to target Macs. Computer security problems are here to stay, I"m afraid.

There are, of course, many advantages to using OS X as well, but I still run Windows (and even, archaicly, Win XP which is now 2 OSs old, because it works so well for my audio set up).

Solutions?

Use Bootcamp with a dual boot system; install Win XP Professional, Service Pack 2 or
Win 7 and do your music editing on the Win XP side and import your files.

or stay with OS X and Use a VST wrapper with either AU or TDM plugin systems in your DAW.

Good luck, Gareth. The Intel Macs (with their abilities to have dual boot systems) are, if very pricey, very wonderful (and this is said by someone who randomly seems to have bought a lemon MacBook Pro).