Re: New Video - "Cigarettes & Sidewalks" by The Wandering Madman

Kevin,

Read those posts. Fro was asked to change it. That's what I have a problem with. I wasn't jumping to a conclusion but rather I felt extremely offended that it was suggested to a man that he should re-do it because "he couldn't possibly have meant that". That offends me to no end, and it should offend any of us.

It is very upsetting to know that if I submit a piece of music for my peers here on Looper's Delight, I will be scolded and "corrected" if my expressed view differs from some other's. That should never be the spirit of an artistic community. There are many different people here with many different perspectives on INCREDIBLY COMPLEX issues and we should never shame someone for expressing views that differ from ours.

Factually and respectfully voicing opposition to a view is perfectly fair. But the suggestions that he should re-do his art because some may perceive a certain world-view or opinion is simply an outrage.

He has every right to sing and express his particular perspective. That is what artistic freedom is all about, in my opinion. The removal of that freedom is the beginning of the end. Dictatorships can consist of one person or they can consist of general consensus of opinion, or by the most vocal group. All three dictatorial entities are reprehensible and fraught with danger.

Ok, I've said my piece. I don't want to beat it to death but I want you to be fully aware of why I am offended that we seem to need to conform to a certain political view or be gently corrected here. There is real danger concealed behind those polite, friendly corrections and requests to change an artistic expression.

Brian