Re: Faderfox LV3: Impressions & Mixed Feelings

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM,  <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> If anyone else here knows how to work some Faderfox-magic with
> Mainstage/MidiPipe, help is GREATLY appreciated!

What I did was to launch both Mainstage and Bidule when plugging in
the LV3 for the first time. Bidule has a tool called "MIDI Monitor 2"
that shows what MIDI messages are coming into the computer. This
monitor made it a simple task, of a couple of hours, to try out all
combinations of button pressing on the Faderfox and learn how they
interact (which I described in my earlier post). So when knowing what
CC# can be spit out by the LV3 you can create a mixer or looper or
whatever interface you need in Mainstage to match that MIDI data.

Maybe I should say that I only use Mobius as a four track looper - not
the default eight tracks. One nifty thing that was nice to set up with
the LV3 was four band EQs for every channel; you press the track
selection button for a chosen track and then the four rotary
(incremental) will start targeting the four EQ bands for this
particular track. Graphically I used "visual meter" on the Mainstage
screen because then these four bands can be put on a horisontal line
and graphically form a linear EQ curve. I like it that way because you
"see" the sound by just one glance and the four encoder knobs kind of
represent one EQ band "visual meter" each. This was just one example -
if you start by learning what MIDI can be sent out from the LV3 and
how the track selection buttons will re-organize what is sent out by
the encoders (either by pressing them for a 0 or 127 value or by
twisting them for incremental or absolute 1/127 control) you can start
making up control environments to get at parameters you want to play
with. The important step is to memorize all LV3 combination first,
only then you can start inventing different possible applications.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com