Re: questions for loopers

1) what aspects of looping do you enjoy the most?

It's a toss up between the lavish backstage riders and the groupies.
The money is nice of course, but it's secondary to pleasing my fans.
Ultimately, I really like playing with myself.

2) what aspects of looping do you enjoy the least?

Hotels with windows that don't open so you can't throw TVs into the pool.
LD's that give me insufficient light for proper shoe gazing.
Rednecks waving lighters screaming FREEBIRD!   IN C!

3) what looping tools (including controllers) do you currently
use/have used in the past?

Currently I use Mobius and a variety of controllers.  The controllers
I use most often are a Behringer FCB-1010 footswitch, KORG nanoKey,
and KORG nanoKontrol.  I sometimes use an iPad with TouchOSC, Novation
Remote 25, M-Audio Trigger Finger, Keith McMillen Softstep, and
several touch sensitive itinerant laborers.

In the past I've used a Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro, a Lexicon Jamman
(the old one), and a Digitech 2 second delay/sampler.

4) what are the strengths of these tools?

Mobius does just about everything I need though I do occasionally
have problems with priapism.

5) what are the weaknesses of these tools?

Not flame retardant.

6) do you modify a loop once it's been created? if so, how?

I usually start building loops for static background patterns.  They may
contain several overdubs and multiplications but afterward they don't
change though I may trigger them randomly to create "songs".
When I get to the "solo" part I treat the loop more like something
I "play" by applying effects, chopping it up into pieces, changing
playback direction and speed, etc.

Occasionally I might apply transdermal implants, scarification,
or a Prince Albert, but only for weddings and family reunions.

7) how much planning do you do for a particular performance?

Typically a week of fasting, sweat lodges, and a few drum circles.

Most of the time I use looping to create backgrounds for
improvisation.  There is not much planning other than a chord
progression and instrumentation.  I find this enjoyable to do,
but often it is boring to listen to as an audience member.

I am more interesting in hearing people that use loops as an extension
of their instrument, creating complex evolving patterns that could not
be done any other way.  I also like loopers that create complex
multi-part arrangements with parts that are brought in and out.

I have no problem with pre-recorded rhythm parts.

8) what form does this planning take? (do you write it down, keep it
in your head, etc)

I sketch things using a modified form of standard music notation.
Then I drink a lot and stare at it until memorized.

9) at what level of detail do you plan? (melody, harmony, timbres,
dynamics, instrumental techniques, etc.)

Usually just rhythm, chords, and timbres.  The rest is improvised.

I also like to know where all the exits are and the
average first responder time.

10) describe your general approach to loop performance.

Do no harm.

11) what would the ideal looping system look like? describe it in as
much detail as you can (and don't worry about practical concerns).

Pretty much Mobius but with more cowbell.

12) any additional comments?

I like turtles.