RE: What is looping .... was _MUSIC - "D Torn Kaisers Aars E.T." tríbute to some heroes

Ahh we seem to wok along similar lines... I don't really see the octatrack as an "MPC on Steriods" I haven't seen any sensible way to live sample and replay on a MPC. I think an MPC could be a complement to the octatrack. The machine can do a whole lot of cool sequencer tricks, all from applying different effects settings on different steps to pitch shifting and rate change per step. Evan Slicing a sample an trigg different samples on each step.. so on track could for example first use recorder 1 then slice that, play different slices with all sorts of different settings on each step and even have some steps play from an other recorder that records in real time...
I see the octatrack almost as synth where my guitar is the oscillator.
My work flow usually is
- Decide if I want i through track which i use if i don mike an amp, if I mike an amp i spit the signal so that i can record the direct signal separately on my Zoom
- Decide if I want some canned loops, if yes I load them to a track and tweak them
-Check the recorders and set them to some different length, usually 1 or long (64 steps) some 16 steps and often one or two really short, perhaps 4 steps
- set playback length for each track, usually same as recording length, but i have used 5,17 or 19 on some track while some other are on the usual 16, 32 or 64 steps (this creates poly rhythm)
- sett the initial effects per track
-some times set scee effects for the crossfader
In all it take perhaps 5 minutes. I have now saved a few projects which i can start tweaking from.. if i were to play live iI would use all preset project, changing projects takes a few seconds..
Not that different from your mobius flow..

Of to the cottage now I will be back on Sunday...

Greetings from Trångsund..