Sarcasm in Communication Online: was: New Topic Suggestion

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Tim Nelson wrote:
Bill Walker asked:
"BTW is there a universal symbol for irony or sarcasm ? Sometimes the smiley face doesn't quite cut it."
__________________________
I just heard about Sartalics a few weeks ago; it's a backwards-slanted italic-like font that's intended to be a clear expression of non-serious sarcasm or irony in emails, websites, social media, etc.

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/05/sarcasm-font-_n_919845.html <http://http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/05/sarcasm-font-_n_919845.html>>
Read the first ten responses to this idea on this page to get a good idea why this may never take off. I'm skeptical, myself.

My other thought is that sarcasm, on some levels, is a communication used because people are afraid to just communicate very directly
what they want to get across.

I grew up in a family that used sarcasm liberally and I fall into it occasionally as an adult, but my wife and I have tried hard to eliminate it from our communication because it just isn't direct and it is frequently misunderstood causing emotional triggering
that never helps communication.

It, to me, is in the same category as 'put down' humor...................it always feels good to the person using it (and thought to be funny) but it rarely feels good to the person receiving it..........a mild kind of win/lose kind of communication.

......but maybe I'm being to serious here, it does happen...............<smile>.

rick walker