Re: New album not released!

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
Good point,

So I imagine you can't be
picky about that - as the case is when it comes to non pre cleared
music.

Yes, for example, all the music I write for corporate I use one simple model. I charge per hour for the time it took to write, and then I license the recording (1 extra line in the contract of the whole multi-media production, not a 67 page EULA) whereby its use in THAT production is allowed forever. The company are NOT allowed to reuse the music or play it at any event, and that if they want to use it for TV advertising or another production, they must talk to me.

This has only actually happened once, where a piece I wrote for a film for Aker Solutions, they wanted to use at a live event. They complied with my contract and paid me some extra for that one showing.

In this day and age, it continues to be important to retain ones rights to the music and never, ever sell, but return fees and or fees based on viewer counts, is not feasible and in many cases possible, so a company would choose not to use. There are PLENTY of totally free music library sites fow, and for me, as a film-maker, I only record for quality, cos I want something special, I am NOT making money out of it, apart for that fact that my company budgets some hours for me to do this AT WORK... but its hours, rather than days ha ha!!!
I am the master of throwing library loops together and having something an an hour and a half... Did I say quality...? er...?

m.
--
Mark Francombe
www.markfrancombe.com