Re: Midi Question

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 12:51 AM, Kevin Cheli-Colando
<billowhead@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I thought I
> could run the Midi out of the FCB to a Berhringer rotary control that
> has Midi IN ports and runs via USB to get the signal into the
> computer.  Is there any reason this shouldn't work that people can
> think of?

Well, I don't know about a MIDI USB Interface called Behringer Rotary
Control... but generally it should shuffle external MIDI into OS X if
it has a MIDI jack input and connects to the puter by USB. To answer
your question: yes, there are many possible errors how you set up the
MIDI routing inside the computer. For example, if a MIDI
module/application is set to listen to a specific one of the available
16 MIDI channels it won't detect MIDI sent over another MIDI channel.
Some gear let you use MIDI stuff set to "All Channels" and I often use
that just to make it simpler.

> I'm running a MAC so I'm not sure of a MIDI OX equivalent
> here to see if things are coming in.

Mac OS X has its own MIDI routing system inside the computer's
operating system. To set it up you go into Applications / Utilities
and open up the Audo Midi Setup application. To make MIDI settings you
have to open a window called MIDI Window. But I doubt this will be
needed for just piping external MIDI into Ableton Live. Make sure you
also set up Live's own MIDI preferences correctly.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com