Re: GR-55 (Re: What is Boyson doing exactly?)

Wow, man you got me pretty scared there!!!  ;-)  I immediately jumped
away from the computer keyboard to the GR-55 and tried to make a loop
in Mobius and then switch program on the GR-55. Phiew, Roland fixed
that issue on this one. I can tap dance through my GR-55 patches all
while Mobius plays back my recent loops through the GR-55.

To recapture: I bought a $5 USB hub today and set up this system:

USB cable A:
- GR-55 sends audio directly out into the PA.
- GR-55 sends USB audio into a laptop running the standalone Mobius looper.
- Mobius on the lappy sends tempo clock as USB MIDI to the GR-55 that
follows loop tempo.

USB cable B:
- Gordius Little Giant 2 sends USB MIDI into Mobius (for looping
action commands).

USB cable C:
- Faderfox hand mixer sends USB MIDI into Mobius to control the mix,
feedback and alternative feedback.

That's it. Only three USB cables to pop in, switch on the devices and
finally the computer. Very small and convenient for lugging around. As
for using a full range/frequency instrument as the Stick I think the
audio fidelity of the GR-55 sounds just as good as the RME interfaces
I'm used to.

Heck, if starting out on a budget I wouldn't hesitate to buy a GR-55
plus a pair of Genelec monitors for the money otherwise spent on the
RME audio interface. Ok, you would be locked into a corner but fully
creative corner to stay in for a while. Thinking about what you get
with the GR-55 is close to mind blowing; all the classic Roland synth
sounds, an audio interface that also works for mixing, lots of effects
that can be modulated both by manual pedals/switch and MIDI or
internal virtual sweeps. Internal mixer routing can be set up
according to two optional schemes. One basically daisy-chains all
effects while the other offer two busses that can be treated
differently. Reverb and delay are handled as send/return loops.

But since I'm not starting out fresh I really appreciate my RME for
recording acoustic instruments through a high quality mic at 48k that
are demanded by certain clients.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se