Re: Re: Off to do some looping ok OK

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Matt Davignon wrote:
Speaking of the freeze, I've discovered I have to cool it with my EH Freeze a little bit. The most common thing I was doing to was freezing my electronic tom sound, which creates a sine-wave sound which is apparently painful to everyone except me. On typical drum kit sounds, it requires a tricky bit of timing, but can be pretty rad.

I'm at a show at the moment, so I can't listen to the mp3 just yet, but I'm curious about how well it does with flute.
I, too, started to overuse this pedal that , in effect, just freezes individual tones.

Where I'm finding beautiful goodies, however, is freezing very quiet and incidental sounds.

Rubbing your hands over the strings so that they make 'noise's and freezing them creates truly beautiful
sounds..........very noise oriented and NOT loud.

I don't know if you have a compressor or not, but one technique I'm using is to run everything into a Boss compressor that is turned up all the way on every knob (normally very obnoxious because it overcompresses everything and causes a lot of 'pumping' sounds.

However, if you run nothing into the pedal (but still through your pitch shifters, distortions, delays, what have you) when you quit making noises, the inherent noise of all of those pedals is brought to a loud volume that has some
cool effects if you use the Freeze function.

Additionally, I've found that playing melodies and using temporary freezes that you hold only for a short while is very effective: particularly it is forcing me to get deeper into harmony and the extensions of both scales and chords...........mostly because most things that you freeze occasionally, sound bad. it takes skill to use this pedal and it's an unusual one.

I'm still in love with mine but have quickly found that it's 'cliched' uses are very predictable and
intrusive.

rick.