Re: beefing up diatonic instruments

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Rainer Straschill wrote:
Sticking with the C Ionian (major) example, play a melody into the looper. Then do a varispeed, and get any of the chromatic pitches you desire...depending on which speed factor you use, more or less of them (e.g. 3/2 original speed = 5th up = you get an f#, 4/3 original speed = 4th up = you get a Bb etc.), which you can then use againts the live-played diatonic instrument.

Now to wrestle this back on topic regarding odd time signatures: the loop does not only change pitch, but also tempo. So if your loop originally had a length of two bars (let's stick with the 5/4 example - that would be 10 4ths), after shifting it up a 4th, it's now 10/(4/3)=15/8ths long, but if you played a quarter note before, this is now a dotted eight.

So play your original two bar melody into the looper, varispeed it to 4/3, and continue playing your original melody on your diatonic instrument - polyrhythm and chromatic tonality from a diatonic instrument all in one looping box!

Very nice idea, Rainer!

Another simple solution I use a lot is just using a Digitech Red Whammy or a Boss Intellishifter stomp box pedal set to 1/2 steps and use it judiciously to expand my Diatonic instruments (especially the Strum Stick or
Appalachian Mountain Dulcimers) to Chromatic playing.

One thing I actually like about the piece I recorded for the L.D. Vol IV comp is that it is constrained to the diatonic intervals but with the pinky slide and bowed banjo and the synthesizer I can bring in
accidentals that make it more sophisticated harmonically.

I really dug that I made a physical loop of the 5 against 4 toy music box pattern........actually taped into place to play continually as long as I was cranking it. It actually took a lot of discipline to crank it at exactly the same speed for the recording...........thank god for loopers, eh? lol.

rick