Re: Loop a Hang?

mark francombe wrote:
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Dust Bunnies <mech3@m3ch.net
<mailto:mech3@m3ch.net>> wrote:

    Then I realized the music I'd put together sounded like "HAPPY
    CALYPSO MUSIC, MON!' and I hated it.

Ha ha CLASSIC!! I have to agree that Steel band sound is pretty terrible
aint it...

Oh, I'm sure there's appeal for some people, but I personally find it just hideous. I'm certain that if I wind up in a personalized hell someday, it'll be filled with steel drummers. And large spiders... Yeeeeuch! ;)

Although, there is some pretty cool stuff that's been done for "suspense" or "chase"-style soundtrack work. You can hear it in some of the stock libraries like Heavyocity's Evolve. It seems I'm no good at I that, unfortunately. Every time I try it turns into, "Under da sea, oh under da seeeeea...".

Now if only Test Dept had made one, or
Neubauten, they might make it work!

Reminds me of waaaaaay back when I was a rock photographer. One of the coolest shows that I shot was for SPK (Graham Revell's original industrial group; before he got famous for doing movie soundtracks).

One of the primary instruments used during the show was a pair of oil drums. And during one of the final numbers Revell starts going at the drums with a handheld electric metal grinder. It was cool enough to watch, because not only did it sound neat but it produced a shower of sparks every time he hit it.

Then, about halfway through that number, Revell picks up the drum and holds it high over his head at the edge of the stage. It took about five beats for everybody on the floor of the "pit" to look up at Graham looming over them, and to register what was about to happen. Then people scatter in every direction like kitchen mice when the light's turned on, *just* as he throws the drum down onto the dancefloor -- THOOM!

Immediately, he jumps into the pit along with it and, with the grinder, begins going at the drum like a madman. A long stream of sparks shoots out in front of him -- probably 8 or 10 feet long -- and he uses it like a firehose to chase and corral the crowd from one side of the floor around the next.

Me? I've got a camera, remember? So it occurs to me that the camera will actually allow some face and eye protection. While the rest of the crowd is fleeing in every direction, I'm actually running(!) in to get as close as possible. Then, he sees what I'm doing and turns the full rain of this thing on me -- showering me with tiny shards of flaming metal like a kid playing with the backyard water tap. It went on like that for the best part of five minutes, with him chasing the crowd, and me off to one side snapping away as fast as I can.

I ended up with some minor burns across my neck, hands, and arms, but nothing serious or scarring. And well worth the photos I got & living to tell the tale! :)

        --m.