Re: What do YOU do when creativity dries up?

In all seriousness- when the 'organic' element leaves my work, or when 'I' am not present in my composing, I do math, and I serialize variables and proceed forward until a form presents itself. My being a former engineering student with a proclivity for working with patterns gave me a history of where to look, and what math to do, but it has become automatic. Completely to the point of 'doing it in my sleep.'

Unfortunately, this has backfired and Ive had bouts of sensory overload and recognition of patterns in my daily life to the point that its debilitating, and it interferes with day-to-day life, but most people don't work with them for extended durations (and I'm mildly autistic.)

-Make a list of 'safe areas' and proceed outwards, look for the inverse, converse, or other tangential relation to the safe areas.... work in retrograde, from top down, bottom up, front to back, and never store presets (find out how it works, so you KNOW what makes the sound, but dont save it.)

Listen to old works, or dont listen to any of your own work for extended durations.

Its all a slow process of moving forward.

Oh, look for themes, and if repetition bothers you (haha, repetition bothering a looper's mind....I guess you'd be in the wrong field then....ha) then move as far away from the themes as possible.

And the most fun one- put a movie on 'mute' and compose an original score, improvised, on the spot.

Cheers
Billy