RE: Why...?

Why do you 'loop'? What got you started on this path?

I bought my first looper to help me record chords to practice scales and soloing over...it has progressed into "what I do" now...

Was it a mechanism for solo performance? to record a vamp?

It became one...and I saw the potential in it for becoming a solo ambient artist.

A compositional device, a new avenue of _expression_?

Yes, to try new ideas, then erase them and try again, if I am dissatisfied...

An 'artistic statement' in itself? as if to say "I DONT NEED NO STINKIN BAND!"

Sometimes....but I am working with a friend who uses iPhone and a Macbook, and I will still use live looping for pads, ambience, etc. on guitar.

A textural apparatus? sound design?

The textures I can achieve as a 'one-man' operation, even stun ME some days...

A means of 'warping sound'?

Yes, that along with the variety of electronics and other devices, ie. means of creating and manipulating sounds, found sounds, reverbs, processed, etc.

Loopers owned: RC-20 (my first!), a DD-20, 2-DL4s, a Boomerang III, an LP-1, and 2 EHX Freeze pedals, one modified w/ SEND-RETURN. Fun!!!!

Regards,

Edward Yuhas

PS I'm not using them all at once! LOL...curently loving my Boomerang, though...