Re: The nature of ambient music

This is an excellent question.
I don't think my cave-man looping attempts would ever be misconstrued as
"ambient" for many reasons.
I have a very minimalistic setup (banjo, minstrel fretless banjo, jaw
harp, harmonica and vocals and an Rc50 with a POD Octave pedal and a
digital reverb. Is that minimal? Maybe not).
I often want to be as concise as possible so my looping is quick and
to-the-point. Usually involving a mere drum loop to sing punk songs over.
I've noticed that banjo by itself is almost too sparse for punk.
I like singing and writing goofy songs and I always felt "ambient" to be
more of an instrumental type realm. Solos and instrumental cut into my
"mic time" where I can be saying/singing goofy stuff.
All that being said I often do like to create bizarre ambient soundscapes
with my assortment of other strange acoustic instrument (a dobro,
dulcimer, cardboard box upright and toy keyboards) to my banjo rotation.
You'd be surprised at how spacey Appalachian instruments sound looped just
right.
I love the ambient soundscape I can get but I usually get a short fixed
amount of time with an audience and I'm a sub par musician with a good
sense of humor. I wanna do as many funny songs as I can until they pull
the plug in me.
Perhaps I'm in the wrong mailing list. True my loops often will be the
opening drums of one song while I sing a different song on top of it (can
you say "I'm So Lonesome When The Levee Breaks I Could Cry"?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPOQ1BCZwIc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
That is a looping song only in the most basic definition. I just took an
opening drum beat to a song fed off my phone, pressed a pedal at the right
time and voila! I have a drum beat to sing Hank Williams songs and annoy a
drunk bar.

I'm utilizing looping and generating my own beats off my banjo head much
better now.

Perhaps I'm on the wrong mailing list but I feel pretty at home here.

Chaz Worm - singer, bass, banjo
Earth, Worm, &, Fire and
Electric Light Opry

http://chazworm.com