Re: livelooping. Ambient.

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Mark Hamburg <mark@grubmah.com> wrote:
> If someone plays a synthesizer into a loop pedal it qualifies as looped
> music but what if instead they manipulate knobs on an old style
> sequencer to change the note sequence?

I'd say a loop is a loop. Whether it is audio or data it is a loop if
it comes back. In my usual live rig I use many other techniques
besides looping; like "freezing", "sequencing" and "arpeggiating".
Freezing is special because the sound doesn't come back in a loop, you
just catch the timbre as a sound cloud from whatever audio is going
on. Arpeggiating is close to both audio live looping and sequencing.
Pure data sequencing is something I don't do much though - but step
sequencing can indeed be done in loops, like the classic way of
working those Roland boxes or the Akai MPC. And the way we use to cut
in quantized chunks of live audio into a spinning audio loop is very
close to step sequencing.

I think all these electronic real-time processing techniques -
including live looping - serves the same purpose in music performing:
to broaden the musicians palette for multitasking, i.e. you create
several musical parts simultaneously.

And then there is this other concept: you record something as a loop
and play something else over it.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com