Re: Live Looping versus using Pre-Recorded Loops

I like the idea of creating everything myself.  I use a very liberal amount of technology in doing so, but I try to keep it "organic" in the sense that the music is created live and in real-time.  While I don't judge the artistic value of a piece by live/pre-recorded, I personally view it like playing in a band.

I don't care what the "instrument" is by definition, but a live band would create everything in real-time.  Per my previous group, I wouldn't want the keyboard player playing pre-recorded parts, and the drummer wouldn't use a drum machine of pre-programmed rhythms, etc.

So, I guess, if I were to use a drum machine, which I don't, I'd want to avoid having a full backing track to a song.  I know it maybe doesn't make sense, but I'd rather a drum sample or bass sample be looped than hear a full three and a half minutes of a backing track with live jamming over top.

There has to be some live manipulation of the instrument...and I think a drum machine or backing track CAN be used as an instrument.

This weekend I watched "I am Still Here"...that mockumentary made by Juaqin Phoenix.  He performed his raps to full backing tracks.  I thought that was lame (well, the whole thing was sorta lame on purpose).  However, I think John Popper playing with DJ Logic (who blatantly uses samples live) is way cool.  There is still live manipulation of the sounds and the ability to improvise.
Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica
http://www.mikefugazzi.com
Facebook