Re: 11 11 11 not German tab

On Nov 13, 2011, at 2:39 AM, andy butler wrote:
German, which is only for a 5 string instrument
and works in a wholly different way.

Almost right again. :-) German tab is for 6 courses, but originally it was for 5. We know that because they numbered/lettered from string 5 to 1 and then again at each fret, going across. However, when they added a 6th course to the lute, they used capital letters going UP the 6th course. And different composers used different symbols! I don't think there is any German tab extant that is just for 5 courses, but I could well be wrong about that. I don't know of any. I haven't messed too much with German tab, so I need to have a fingering chart handy if I try to play from it, which I rarely do.
If you want to get really wacky, try Alfebeto on Baroque guitar: an A means G chord, B means C chord, G means F. They have mixed alfabeto and tab too.

(shame it's not in French tab)

I have a whole page of links to digital lute tab.