Re: Re: Re: Circular Breathing: Live Looping

Trumpeter Liz Allbee uses a lot of the same techniques as Jon Hassell, except she had never heard of Hassell until people started telling her about the similarities.

Liz lived in the Bay Area for a while, but she moved to Berlin a couple years ago. Unlike Hassell, she does not use harmonizers, but occasionally uses other electronic effects. She mostly plays improv, noise and occasionally punk rock.

I'm sure she's on youtube, but I'm not supposed to be on youtube while at work.

Up in the San Francisco/East Bay improv scene, where "extended technique" is the standard technique, there seems to be more wind/reed players who use circular breathing than those who don't. I've seen some incredible performances by Matt Ingalls, John Ingle (no relation) and Phillip Greenlief. John Butcher (from the UK) is also really good.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com