Re: Pseudo Bass lines

Per, that fractals-piece - whoa! Really nice stuff!!!!

-Petri-

2011/11/29 Mike Fugazzi <mikefugazzi@gmail.com>
Here is how I do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZEiGB5AzsU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxh_m9E2s1c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spkepjKQ2jY

I have the octave pedal before the looper and turn it on and off to create the bass line in real time. I don't have to speed up/slow down, I can add it anywhere in the creation of the loop, and I can turn it on/off whenever.  I can add the effect to anything I play.

The trick here is I can send everything through the Bass Driver DI and it sounds good going into the PA.  I can also take an unaffected line from the DI to go straight to the amp.  I've found that the settings I like live for "bass" on the DI also make the beatboxing and harmonica sound better.  I mix that with a feed from my amp and then can eq/mix to taste.

The limitations with this are that everything ends up being on the same channel - bass, beatboxing, and harmonica.  I don't have to use the DI, I can mix them all separately, but in the end, they are all on the same channel in the PA...so if the sound man wants more presence from the harp, it is added to the bass and beatboxing too.

I have it setup so I can mix from my pedal board and my hope is that with two feeds - from the DI and the amp, that it can be mixed good enough.

My philosophy is that the DI feed is where the bottom end and rhythm parts really sound the best.  The harmonica doesn't sound bad at all, but I want a good bass/beatbox sound first and foremost.  The bass and beatboxing hitting the amp are low in the mix compared to the harmonica to the point that the DI feed should overpower it.  The amp gets me a grittier and more fullfilling harmonica tone and I don't rely on the amp to support the bass/beatboxing.

Honestly, I could get by just fine without the amp.