Re: KMI Softstep

The software was pretty bad at first, but it has apparently gotten better.
 The worst part was that you had to run an extremely bloated Max/MSP
application in order to use it, I'm told this has been fixed so you can
"download" your programming to the switch and then it works without the
Max app.

I lost interest in it because for me the deal breaker was the size and
lack of any tactile response.  It is very difficult to tell if you are
pressing a switch or not, I like to gently rest my foot on a switch prior
to activating it, that often results in false triggers.  You can tweak the
sensitivity but I was never able to really dial in the sweet spot where I
could reliably trigger something all the time.  There isn't enough height
difference between the back row and the front row which also led to false
triggers of the back row, especially if you're wearing big clunky shoes.

I've heard people say that you need to approach it like an "instrument"
that has to be "practiced".  I suppose that's true, and if you did it is
indeed a very powerful switch.  But my list of things that need to be
practiced is already long enough.

I would reconsider this though if I travelled a lot.  It weighs almost
nothing and is easy to pack.

Jeff