Re: BEST iPad Apps for LIVE LOOPING

Regarding Per's suggestion for using an iPad as a controller surface, there are some folks who are using iPads to control church organ voicings wirelessly in this way, and it should be pretty easy to adapt it for live looping use I would think.

For using iPad on a wireless network as a controller surface, there's an app called Desktop Connect which discovers computers on a wireless network. It also includes support for Easyconnect which is supposed to work over the internet via a googlemail account and is free.

There's another iPad app called Air Display which displays your computer's screen on the iPad so you can control it in real time wirelessly.  I guess I could use this to display Mobius on the iPad, and then have touch-screen capability to control it!  Man, I've got to get an iPad.  I could walk around with it rather than using a pedal or the computer's keyboard to build my loops.  I'm concerned about latency working through a network, though.

There is also an app called TouchOSC which you can use, which has a corresponding desktop app for OS X or Windows.  You can create a layout of your own with "switches, faders, LED's, etc." to use as a MIDI control surface.  It supports muti-touch and sweeping.  Here is an example of a layout that was created to allow controlling a church organ, which can be pretty complex with all of the stops, manuals, and so forth involved.

Has anyone used these for live looping, and if so what has been your experience?  Thanks.

Michael Carlson (TripleOhNine)

Michael Carlson (TripleOhNine)